Saturday, October 13, 2012

Diabesity part II.

A day or two ago I wrote a post about the shame I feel for having Type 2 diabetes. At least, that was what I thought it was about. What I intended it to be about. I'm not exactly sure that's what people took away from it, though.

The next morning after I posted it, I was preparing to go to a press event at a local elementary school. It's just down the street from where I live. My colleague suggested that we meet at the nearby McDonald's for breakfast. McDonald's is actually an easy place for me to eat. From all of my years at Weight Watchers I know that the Egg McMuffin sandwich is a relatively low-fat option there and I know that it has two carb exchanges (30 grams of carbohydrate), mostly from the English muffin. Because I am supposed to eat four exchanges at breakfast, I added a hash brown (15 grams of carb). Would I call it a healthy breakfast? No, of course not. Would I call it a terrible choice? No, I wouldn't call it that either.

During our meal I checked us in on Facebook with the words, "Breakfast of Champions!" I did not think a thing about doing this. I do it all the time from all types of restaurants.

So, after we finished I went over and photographed the event and then went in to work. I went on Facebook to find several comments chiding me about my breakfast choice, especially after the blog post from the night before. What did I eat? Why did I make this public?

This most recent blog post had been very cathartic for me. I woke up reinvigorated about my fight with diabetes. I really did. I checked my sugars that morning and they were normal. I ate a very reasonable meal, administered the proper dosage of insulin and took my Metformin. Just like I do almost every day. Breakfast is one of my good meals. My issues come later in the day and when I am stressed. My breakfasts are usually a good balance of carb and protein.

As the day wore on, I pondered this response to my check-in. I was frankly kind of surprised to see this kind of scolding reaction. I wondered, how can I make a point about this without making my friends feel bad for their concern. I know that these comments were coming from a place of love. It was the delivery that was problematic.

The next day I had an idea. I realized that Facebook lets you check-in from anywhere. You don't even need to be there. Early in the morning I checked in at a local bakery. Soon after a few comments appeared -- "what are you eating"? About 10 minutes later I checked in at iHop. All day long I checked in at fast-food places, bakeries, hamburger joints, ice cream factories, Chinese and Mexican and Greek restaurants, a local chocolatier and eventually a maker of Whoopie pies in Virginia and the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas.

Out of all of those check-ins, only one was authentic. I went to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch. Here is a photo of my meal, a chicken taco salad. I did not eat the shell. I did eat some chips, as I was actually a little low (The range is 80-120. I was around 74) when we arrived at the restaurant. Prior to eating the chips I had a couple of glucose tabs to bring up my sugar. The carbs in the chips are not fast-acting enough to work in that way. Mid-morning I had an apple and a piece of cheese. A carb and a protein to keep me satisfied until lunch. It did help. I didn't overeat.

I checked my sugars again an hour or so after eating. All good.

So, the point of this Facebook exercise I guess, is that even though I have diabetes, I still have a life. I will still be faced with the challenges of eating out and trying to find menu items that fit within my guidelines. I will succeed sometimes and I will fail sometimes. I hope you'll be with me along the way and have faith that I will make the right choices. If I don't I hope you'll understand and encourage me to do better next time.

I love you all, and thank you for your concern for me.

5 comments:

  1. On the night we had that big storm that took down so many trees, our power was out. I successfully found pizza down E State at Pizza Hut, and as I carried it into my house to my hot, hungry family. I encountered another neighbor on the way in. They said, "Aren't you gluten-free? Aren't you Paleo? That's not very Paleo." Um yeah. About that... Sometimes the best we can do at the time is simply the best we can do. I was happy to have a hot meal in my hand. I understand diligence, but there's something to be said for a certain amount of flexibility too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen is right. The opinions of others on your (or my) diet choices are neither welcome nor relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) Hang in there! Like I said before, I think you are going to have a great book out of this journey that will encourage other people in their walk along their own path!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well and I think what most people don't understand is that Diabetics CAN eat anything...like the rest of us, they have to count the carbs, use moderation, but treats are OK and can be a regular part of your life. My friend who is on an insulin pump gets so frustrated when she decides to eat a cookie or have some M&M's and someone (surely well intended) decides to say something re: her food choices. Over and over again she tries to explain to them how she can eat some of these foods, and that she watches her blood sugars closely and that she is doing very well over all. It is a cultural thing...most people think that Diabetics can only eat baked fish, green beans and a half of a potato, and that any form of sugar is not allowed. It will take time, and blogs like this can change some ingrained belief systems...one person at a time.

    ReplyDelete