Thursday, November 22, 2012

Let's Talk Turkey.

Well, I've made it through one Thanksgiving dinner. Another will be coming tomorrow. Holidays are tricky for dieters and diabetics. They take planning. They take strategy. They take willpower, positive self-talk and a good support system. Fortunately this year, I have those things.

I was invited to a friend's house this year. It's probably the first time in about 20 years that I didn't have Thanksgiving with my family. My friends Rebecca and Rich invited me to join them. Their son wouldn't be coming home for dinner and they reached out and I accepted. Rich is an awesome cook and Rebecca had made dessert, so I knew it would be fabulous.

The first thing they did was ask me what favorites I would like to have served. I have no particular Thanksgiving favs except for Turkey and Pumpkin stuff. They are both aware of my diabetes, so they wanted to make it easy for me to eat without incurring high sugars.

I was served a multi-course dinner. It started off with a delicious, hearty squash soup. Rich told me all of the ingredients of everything we ate so I would know how to adjust my insulin. The only carb in the soup was a bit of cream, so it didn't even count. Plus it was filling, so it helped curb that desire overeat on other things. The next course included a stuffed mushroom, a small puff-pastry and the most delicious deviled egg I ever had. Not much carb there, either.

The main course included green beans (not the dreaded casserole), two small twice-baked potatoes (New or Red — not sure which, but they were small), dressing, some very moist turkey and gravy. It was served up, so I didn't have to worry about over-serving myself. Correctly portioned, delicious and not carb-crazy. It was followed by a scrumptious pumpkin bar and a freshly-brewed cup of coffee and some great conversation.

Of all the things I have to be grateful for this year, this blog and the wonderful support of my friends and family rank very high. I feel, for the first time since I was diagnosed, that I can manage this thing. I know there will be trying times. I know that I will have successes and failures. But I also know that I don't have to be a slave to this disease. It's with me, it's a part of me, but I don't have to stop living as a result of it.

In August of 2013 I will turn 50. My goal is to have some kind of exercise/physical activity consistently in my life by that time. I know I can do it, and you'll be there with me as it happens. And for that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment