Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Unencumbered

Hello! Long time, no see. Or hear, rather.

Writing a blog is trickier than I thought it would be. I imagined it like a conversation. Me sharing my wins and losses and you celebrating or mourning with me. I've never really been someone afraid of sharing. Heck, I tell people in the grocery store line my life story. However, the last year has been pretty painful. I am now beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel and so I am ready to share.

I own a house. It's a nice house, or so I thought when I purchased it in 2005. A small two-bedroom home in a lovely neighborhood, it has hardwood floors, limestone front, one-car garage, a beautiful fireplace and a basement. It has a large yard with plenty of shade trees. When I moved in it needed some (lots of) decor updating, and gradually I was making headway there. Then, about a year and a half after I moved in, I noticed that the walls in my master bedroom were buckling and tiles in the shower were popping out. I'd be taking a shower and "ping!" — a tile would just pop out and fall to the floor. I ended up with people on my roof, in my attic and finally someone discovered that a vent needed some flashing and that did help. I tore out the tile, put in a shower surround (understand please that "I" did not do these things, but financed the projects). In the meantime, plaster on the ceiling was cracking and falling, and then also, there was a huge crack across the ceiling of the hallway to the bedrooms. It kind of looked like it might just break off and become separate from the rest of the house. Oh, and both of the bedrooms were at a downward slope — as if they were sinking.

Turns out that they were. Both had sunk 4", which is a lot. It was going to cost me about $20,000 to jack the house back up and fix the walls, floors and ceilings. I don't know about you, but I don't have $20,000 sitting around to do such a thing, and what I would have after it was all done was a $70,000 house and I would have to disclose this sinking problem. Who wants to buy an old house that sinks?

Needless to say, it was a very, very stressful time. Last year, after consulting a real estate agent, I decided to declare bankruptcy. I met with an attorney, filed and have since had monies withheld from my wages to pay my debtors. I moved out of that house, but foreclosure hasn't happened yet.

Additionally, I started a diabetes medication called "Victoza." I'm sure you Type 2 folks have heard of it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. However, it runs around $580 a month. I am getting it for $395 because of a discount card, but that will end next year. I still take Lantus, and that runs around $380 for five pens. And of course I take Metformin and other stuff too. I also see an endo every three months -- it all adds up. Our insurance (for which I am grateful, but still...) is a no co-pay, high deductible. We have an HSA, but I am at the limit of what I can contribute. Which means, I can only fill certain scripts until I meet it. I am close, but am not there. I've told my doctors, "Hey, I know my sugars are high, but I just can't afford all of these meds."

Well, today I am happy to announce that I filed papers to discharge my bankruptcy. I guess that some my debtors (of which there are not many) didn't file claims and I was able to meet my obligation early. Very soon there will be no more money taken from my paycheck. I will be able to afford all of my meds.

Isn't this how life is? Good times, bad times, I know I've had my share and so have you, I'm sure. It's just nice to know that sometimes things work out in your favor. The Victoza has helped me to lose some weight. I joined a gym. I'm feeling better. And now this tremendous weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I know it's not the last rough go that I'll see, but every time I'm able to weather a storm I come out a little bit stronger — a little bit wiser.

I'm glad you're on my journey with me. I'll keep you posted as things progress. Or don't. Or don't and then do again.

9 comments:

  1. Hooray for you, Beth. It takes courage to face reality and wrestle it into submission rather than huddle in denial. My admiration for you is even greater now that I know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Susan. Your praise is much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. I am here to appreciate Dr OGU for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. Is about 2 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus and it has been a serious problem to me, I was so confused cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. OGU curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. on his email: drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com , i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, he gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via DHL which i used for 2 weeks and i was cured everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, dr .OGU , God bless you and give you more power and ability for more cures.i dont know if there is any one out there suffering for herpes virus or any of these diseases.. DIABETES, CANCER,GENITAL AND SIMPLEX HERPES,LOW SPERMS COUNT,SYPHILIS, HIV/AIDS, FIBRIOD,COPD,MENINGITIES,HEPATITIES B [HBV] DISEASES .etc why don't you contact dr.Ogu today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com or text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982

      Delete
  2. Cheering you on from our far distant sidelines up here! And encouraged. We just had a breakthrough too - temporary reprieve that will only last a few short months, but a reprieve none the less and that is always a boost. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Red! I agree. Reprieves are what get us through!

      Delete
  3. Proud of you, Beth...I've never seen you without a smile and some witty humor...in spite of your life struggles over the years. Keep on hanging on...your friends will ride with you!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Shelly, for your kind words. And for being one of my friends who is riding along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you, Beth! It's been a long road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Karen. Indeed it has.

    ReplyDelete